Dutch Colonialism

The Dutch Heritage in South Africa: the Afrikaans Language and the Dutch Reformed Church

The Dutch East India Company (VOC) symbol it's still at the entrance gate of the Castle of Good Hope (Kasteel de Goede Hoop), Cape Town, South Africa. Author and Copyright Marco Ramerini

Written by Marco Ramerini. English text revision by Dietrich Köster. THE AFRIKAANS LANGUAGE Afrikaans is a language of Dutch origin and structure similar to Flemish; it’s also influenced by various African languages and by Portuguese, German, French and Malay. Afrikaans was declared an official tongue of South Africa besides English in 1925. Afrikaans is not only spoken by the White ...

Read More »

The Dutch on São Tomé and Principe: the attacks on the island of Principe (1598) and São Tomé (1599)

Map of São Tomé by Johannes Vingboons (1665). No Copyright

Written by Marco Ramerini. English text revision by Dietrich Köster. Shortly after the Union of Spain and Portugal, Philip II imposed the ban on the Dutch to trade and use the Iberian ports, this act was the result of the Dutch rebellion against the Spanish king, and it suddenly kept the Dutch away from the supply of goods from the ...

Read More »

The Dutch on Mauritius 1638-1658, 1664-1710

Dutch map of a coast of Mauritius. Johannes van Keulen De Z.O. Haven van 't Eyland Mauritius, Amsterdam 1753

Written by Marco Ramerini. English text revision by Dietrich Köster. Mauritius was discovered in 1505 by the Portuguese navigator Domingo Fernandez, who named it “Ilha do Cerne”, a corruption of Ilha do Cisne, meaning Swan Island. The Portuguese used the island as a fresh food reserve for the ships bound for India. The first Dutchman visiting the island was Wybrant ...

Read More »

The European forts in Ghana

Elmina Castle, Ghana. Atlas Blaeu van der Hem (1665-1668). No Copyright

Written by Marco Ramerini. English text revision by Dietrich Köster. FORT SÃO JORGE DA MINA (ELMINA) The first European-built fort in Ghana was Fort São Jorge da Mina (Elmina), which was built by the Portuguese in 1482 near an African village, with which they traded, called by them Aldeia das Duas Partes. The foundation stone of this castle was laid ...

Read More »
banner