Photos by João Sarmento. Written by Marco Ramerini.
Some pictures of what remains of forts built by the Portuguese in Morocco in the 15th and 16th century. Here are presented photos of Azamor (Azemmour), Safim (Safi) and Mazagão (El Jadida) taken by João Sarmento.
The fort of Azamor (Azemmour) was under Portuguese control between 3 September 1513 and October 1541.
The fort of Safim (Safi) called by the Portuguese as Castelo do Mar or Castelejo was founded by the Portuguese as a feitoria in 1488. In 1508 the Portuguese built a fortress. The fortress was abandoned by the Portuguese on October 1541.
Mazagão Fort (El Jadida) built by the Portuguese in 1541 was the last Portuguese fort to be abandoned in 1769.
The Portuguese controlled the coast of Morocco and to that end they built many fortresses including those of: Arzila (Asilah), Ceuta, Tanger, Safim (Safi), Graciosa (Graciosa Island near Larache), Santa Cruz do Cabo de Gué (Agadir-Taddert Ougadir), Mogador (Essaouira), Aguz (Souira Guedima, Castelo de Aguz: South of Safi at the mouth of Tensift River), Azamor (Azemmour), Mazagão (El Jadida).