Written by Marco Ramerini. Photos by Geoffrey A. P. Groesbeck
This mission is located in the town of Concepción which is located in Eastern Bolivia, about 280 km north-east of the city of Santa Cruz de la Sierra.
The mission of Concepción was founded in 1699 by the Jesuits Fr. Francisco Lucas Caballero and Fr. Francisco Herbás.
A few years after its foundation, precisely in 1704, the mission was abandoned. The Jesuits founded it back in 1709.
In 1712, the mission of Concepción was merged and re-established along with that of San Ignacio de Boococas.
In 1722 the mission was relocated again to its current location.
This mission is today a UNESCO World Heritage Site.