Written by Marco Ramerini. English text revision by Dietrich Köster.
FORTE DO BRUM
One of the most important remains of the Dutch rule in northeast Brazil is the Forte do Brum (Fort de Bruyne), on the northern end of Recife island. The fort was originally started to built in 1629 by the Portuguese, when the Dutch took control of Pernambuco they rebuilt the fort, which was named after Johan de Bruyne. He was the president of the political council of Olinda and called it Fort de Bruyne. When the Portuguese retook control of Recife, the fort was renamed Forte de São João Batista do Brum. The Museu Militar is housed in this fort.
FORTE DAS CINCO PONTAS
Forte das Cinco Pontas, built in 1630 by the Dutch, it was called by them Fort Frederik Hedrik, the fort was the last place they surrendered when they were expelled in 1654. A tabled at the entrance of the fort describe the Dutch surrender: “Próximo a este forte das Cinco Pontas, um dos últimos baluartes flamengos, na chamada campina do Taborda, existiu a porta sul de Mauricéia, onde o mestre de campo general Francisco Barreto, chefe militar da campanha de libertação e restauração de Pernambuco, recebeu a 28-1-1654, na qualidade de vencedor, as chaves da cidade, que lhe foram entregues pelo general Segismundo van Schoppe, comandante das forças holandesas que, na ante-véspera se haviam rendido. Esta memória foi mandada colocar pelo Exército, no ensejo das comemorações do tricentenário da Restauração. 1654 – 1954.” Inside the fort is the Museu da Cidade, which is entirely dedicated to the history of the city, containing old engravings and photographs.